Recently, I’ve briefly talked about my difficulties finding something that interests me, as well as others.
A friend told me, that it doesn’t really matter what I talk about, as long as I like it. Okay we we’re talking about starting a youtube channel back then, but doing videos on youtube talking is awfully similar to having a blog, right? One uses pictures and sound to talk and bloggers mainly use words. I think while they’re still profoundly different, youtubers as well as writers often question themselves and are unsure what they should talking or writing about.
And that’s what I would like to try. But to make it more interesting, I came up with a challenge:
1. Writing about the things I like
2. Listen to a song which is between 3.30 and 6 minutes long – if I’m not past the first 3 sentences by then, which indicate the topic, save it as a draft and come back to it later, when the timing might be better and start with something new instead.
[I’ve been listening to One Night in Bangkok, which is 6.02 minutes long and that’s how far I came, so I’m continuing this post]
3. Don’t stress myself about the length. Quality over quantity!
4. Don’t spent more than 30 minutes per post, unless I can’t stop writing, because I have a lot to say – often I find myself sitting in front of the keyboard for 30 minutes without typing more than 3 words, maybe that’s the hint to either put an end to the post or postpone it.
5. Have fun, whatever happens!
So I’m trying to stick to these rules as long as I can. Some of them seem fundamental, but if I’m not writing them for me to read and re-read again and again, I think I’ll just forget them.
Which I don’t want, because right now I think it is really helpful to me and it feels right. So until these rules come naturally to me, I will follow them. Perhaps I’ll come up with even better ones in the future, but that’s not something I want to think about right now. I’m going down this road, step by step, word by word, bird by bird…
What are your rules when writing? Do you have any? How do you feel about them?